Most people think that once their pain is gone, the body is healed. This is simply not true! Most people don’t realize that chronic back pain causes your body to develop bad compensation habits.
Examples of these “compensations” might be:
• Using your hands to push on your thighs to stand up after you’ve bent forward to pick something up from the ground;
• Putting more weight to one side of the body because of increased pain when standing for too long
• Using ‘momentum’ to stand upright from a bed, or out of a chair, because of aches or pain
• Leaning forward too much because it relieves back stiffness
• Using your neck muscles when lifting shoulder during everyday tasks
Why Does This Happen? Because the brain interprets certain movements as harmful when you have pain! Most "pain exercises" you see on YouTube, or learn from traditional physical therapy, only focuses on building strength or increasing mobility, they do nothing to restore the very critical brain-body connections.
At Maxicare Physical Therapy & Wellness, our exercise program offers much more than a “sheet of strength exercises”, or some ‘mobility stretches. We do this by giving you complete 1 to 1 focused attention into every single movement that applies to your goals.
This will allow you to:
• Restore your confidence in performing ALL movements that you were fearful of doing throughout the day
• Return to exercising with PROPER guidance so you don’t have to worry about hurting yourself again
• Develop ‘Brain-Body awareness’ so you're able to self-correct any improper movement during exercise
• Get back all the things that you enjoy like walking, playing with your grandchildren or walking the dog